“You don’t have to be great to start, but you have to start to be great.” ~ Zig Zigler
This is a quote my friend Annie Orenstein shared on her very first radio show she hosted last week. [Click here to listen!]
It is so true.
It is also what I thought about when I, too, did something new last week. I gave my very first webinar.
The topic of the webinar was: “Your First 3 Steps to Getting Clear on Your Career Direction.”
It was an interesting experience for me and I learned some new things about myself I didn’t know (and couldn’t have known fully) about myself had I not jumped in and done the webinar in the first place.
I jotted down the lessons I learned from running and giving my first webinar and share those with you below. Maybe it will inspire and motivate you to start something new yourself.
But before I get there, here’s a rundown of what you missed, if you were not in attendance:
- Me losing the video and my power for a couple of minutes that felt like a lifetime. (Yep, that happened. It was a challenge.)
- A darn good illustration of how I apply my Lead with Your Core formula(tm) to guide you to your best life and career direction.
- Some beautiful power-point slides I created.
- Hearing the passion in my voice.
- And no there is no recording because it stopped midway (aargh!)
And now here is what I learned:
- I missed the interaction that a live workshop gives.
- I love interacting with people in person, even if it’s on Skype.
- I just want to be helpful.
- Not all webinar platforms are created equal.
- Sometimes no matter how prepared I am, some things can still go wrong.
- That I can handle myself okay even when things go wrong.
- That I take my own advice and focus on my choices based on what’s in my control (even when things go wrong.)
- That I’m not perfect (although I aim for perfection.)
- That I really do believe that mistakes or mishaps are opportunities for learning and growth.
- That I am brave.
- That I am really committed to my work. It took courage to do something for the first time in front of people who were investing of their time to gain something of value.
- That my family is very sweet and supportive. They really do believe in me.
- That I could not have known any of this had I not gotten started in the first place.
- That I have no regrets.
Will I be doing a webinar again?
Well, getting feedback like this from one the participants is definitely encouraging:
What was your take-away from the webinar?
To try new things be open get the info you need and be in tune with who you are and what suits you as an individual.
What feedback do you have for the presenter?
You are very kind and you are very professional. I like that it is clear that you have a beautiful heart and you use it in your work . You made me feel like you really care about your clients.
What other feedback would you like to share with the presenter?
It was great. I liked your honesty about it being your first webinar and that we were in it with you it made me root for you and appreciate your effort.
Moving forward I will apply my own authentic-based formula and find a way to make giving a webinar, or online workshop, more in line with my own values and the best way that I work and approach things. That will make it a better experience for me and my participants.
In the meantime, I have two more live workshops coming up in these next two weeks that I am really excited about. See below for more details. Join us and/or tell your friends to come out too!
But before I go, I would like to leave you with this: if there is something you have been thinking about starting, I encourage you to set a date or a deadline and get out there and do it. You honestly will never truly know how capable and brave you are (and learn about the things you might want to improve for yourself) until you get out there and do what it is that you want to do.
Remember, all of our experiences (whether we succeed or fail) are opportunities for learning and growth.
Onward and upward, and in support and admiration,
Upcoming UnleashingU! Live In-Person Workshops:
Wednesday, November 22nd, 8p.m. Parent Toolkit: Essential Skills for You to Guide your Adult Child to Happiness, Success & Fulfillment, Free workshop, Efrat
Wednesday, November 29th, 8p.m. Parent Toolkit: Essential Skills for You to Guide your Adult Child to Happiness, Success & Fulfillment, Free workshop, Ma’ale Adumim